Me and Alison!London was fun! Ha, getting there wasn’t, we had a four hour coach trip and it was fumey and I kept saying how I smelt fuel and everyone else was just like STFU! So when we got to the Bus Depot which was near Victoria Station we decided it’d be okay to walk from there to the Royal Albert Hall. It took just under an hour and rained three times, but it was fun and we got to see London rather than getting on the Underground and seeing nothing. So we arrived at the Royal Albert Hall and we weren’t going to the Hostel until after the concert so we dropped off our luggage and stuff in this room and then we went to do a music workshop. I volunteered to be the lyricist straight off (I can’t play guitar, I know how to play keyboard and my feet were to tired to play drums) but it was the best job as I wrote two songs and then everyone played them and one of the supporting bands came down to listen. After that it was practically concert time, we got time for food and a drink first although I used it to have a tiny sleep! So the concert started at 7:30 and kicked off with this new band called GTA and they had actually paid to play so it was really nice of them to donate so much money to the TCT. They were good, but perhaps too short of a performance to form an opinion. Starsailor were next and they were pretty awesome. Starsailor are one of those bands that I didn’t know I knew but after seeing them on stage I’ll definitely be checking out more of their music. The main supporting band were Antony and the Johnsons. His singing style is weird but the music was nice, at least it was a nice calm down before Goldfrapp came on at 10pm. I don’t know the exact set list but they played at least 10 songs and Alison is just a jaw-droppingly amazing singer and performer. She said on stage that some of their costumes for the dancers were lost as they had just performed in Texas but they had two horses (for “Ride A White Horse”) so it was alright. I was definitely not expecting anything more to happen after the concert finished but I was wrong. We were hushed into a backstage corridor outside the green room and we waited for about 45 minutes but it was worth it as we went into the green room (which was awesome in itself) but then Goldfrapp came in and Alison sat down next to me and Maddy!Goldfrapp! Just moments before I met them She is so believably genuine and we talked with her and some of the band (this awesome violin player) and a dancer (equally awesome) for a whole hour and I was just amazed, so much so I didn’t even notice Will until I left, which I feel bad about but at least I didn’t mistake him for a dancer or something! So by then it was coming up to 1am and we got a cab to the Hostel and managed to get some pizza. I didn’t actually get into bed until 3:30am despite being absolutely drained but then I was up at 7:30am as we had to check-out for 10am. We got on the Underground from Stamford Beck to Victoria and just hung out in the Victoria station shopping centre until the coach came. Of course I slept for about 3 of the four hours on the way back and in fact the ride back was better! Oh and for the first time ever I went to a Starbucks in Leeds and then we went to one in London! Thank you Cat if you read this so-so-so much from the bottom of my heart, I had an unbelievable time =D


About tomsbrain

The central hub of all things Thomas McNab - a 33-year-old Yorkshire-born writer and filmmaker, living with a disability, and medicating himself with obscene amounts of films, television, and amateur wordplay. Find out more at

Posted on March 30, 2006, in Hospital, Old Posts. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s